To understand conversations about holiday journeys.
To grasp the main in formation about holiday experiences .
To understand conversations about holiday journeys .
To learn some key words and useful expressions.
To grasp the main in formation about holiday experiences.
Step 1 Warming-up
1.Show some pictures of school things. Say what they are.
2.Read the words after the teacher.
3.Introduce the new words.
Step 2 Work in pairs.
1.Ask the students to read the places in Activity 1.
a ) California
c) Los Angeles
d) Pacific Ocean
e) Santa Monica
2.Look at the map carefully in Activity 1.
3.Ask the students to find the places on the map.
4.Play the recording and ask the students to listen to the recording carefully.
5.Listen and number the places as you hear them.
keys: a 1 b 4 c 2 d 6 e 5 f 3
6.Check their answer with a partner.
7.Call back the answer from the whole class and check the answer.
Step 3 Listen and read.
1.Ask the students to read the conversation silently.
2.Play the recording and ask the students to listen and read the conversation.
3.Read the conversation.
4.Act it out.
5.Ask the students to remember the past tense verbs form in the conversation.
go — went
enjoy — enjoyed
do — did
take — took
get — got
fly — flew
meet — met
drive — drove
is — was
stay — stayed see — saw
swim — swam
6.Learn “Everyday English”
It was great!
Step 4 Answer the questions.
1.Read the conversation again.
2.Now answer the questions.
1) How did Betty get to Los Angeles?
2) How did Betty get to her friends’ home?
3) Why was Betty excited at Disneyland?
4) How long did she stay in Disneyland?
5) Where did she go swimming?
3.Ask the students to check with a partner.
4.Play the recording again .Check the answers:
1) She flew there.
2) Her friends drove her.
3) Because she met Snow White and Mickey Mouse.
4) She stayed for two days.
5) She went swimming in the Pacific Ocean at Santa Monica.
5.Learning to learn
When you read a passage describing a series of activities, try to make notes of:
Who What Where How When
Step 5 Complete the sentences.
1.Ask the students to read the words in the box in Activity3.
have a good time on holiday see take two years ago
2.Read through the sentences.
1) It ________ us a long time to find his home last Saturday.
2) We had a wonderful party last night and everybody _________________.
3) My family went to Hainan ______________ last summer.
4) ___________________ I went back to our family home and _________ my grandparents.
3.Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words and expressions from the box.
4.Ask the students to check with a partner.
5.Check the answers:
Keys: 1.took 2.had a good time 3.on holiday 4.Two years ago, saw
6.Read the sentences loudly.
Step 6 Listen and repeat.
1.Play the recording once without stopping.
2.Play the recording again and stop at the end of each line. Ask the whole class to repeat.
3.Play the recording again and stop at the end of each line. Ask individual students to repeat.
4.Listen and notice the underlined stressed words.
1) When did Betty go to Los Angeles?
2) How long did it take her to get there?
3) Where did she go?
4) Who met her at the airport?
5) What did she see there?
5. Now say the sentences aloud.
Step 7 Work in pairs.
Talk about a special holiday.
1.Where did you go?
2.When did you go?
3.How did you get there?
4.How long did you spend there?
5.What did you do or see?
6.What was it like?
Step 8 Language points
1) 副词, 意为“那么(尤指用于引出新话题)；这么，那么(用于强调质量、感觉或数量)”。
I like trip, so I like holidays.
I think so. 我认为如此。
The woman is so excited when she sees her lost boy.
The news is exciting. 那个消息是令人激动的。
Step 9 Homework
Remember the words of Unit 1 and prepare the text of Unit 2.